This is a great infographic about the negative effects of sitting. It was created by Medical Billing & Coding and is definitely worth a look.
A few of the interesting items on the graphic are:
- we spend more time sitting than sleeping
- sitting 6+ hours a day makes you 40% more likely to die within 15 years than someone who sites less than 3
- obese people sit 2.5 more hours per day than thin people
- calorie burning drops to 1 per minute when you are sitting
- each extra hour of watching tv = 11% higher death risk
- sitting in a reclined position puts less strain on your back